Reading can allow students to have adventures and opportunities beyond their dreams!
As a tutor, you will:
- Feel the satisfaction of helping students succeed
- Learn new skills and sharpen old ones
- Connect with the public education system
- Contribute to personal wellness
- Help students perform better and boost their self-esteem
- Enable students to excel, so they become positive contributors to our community
While most volunteer activities do not require special skills, all volunteer efforts require patience, flexibility and a positive attitude. Training is always provided to new tutors.
Benefits of tutoring programs are numerous for students...
- Improves student's self-esteem and confidence
- Improves student's attitudes toward school
- Increases mastery of math and reading skills
- Decreases drop-out rates and truancies
- Breaks down social barriers and creates new friendships
- Promotes emotional support and positive role models
- Improves social skills
- Provides companionship with a positive adult role model
Why should high school students volunteer for the after school program?
- Build a "magical" relationship with a young student! Younger students relate very well to older students
- Make a huge difference in the life of a young student! Often students just need a caring person who takes the time to listen and understand. This could be you!
- Earn volunteer hours! And have fun at the same time!
- Help to determine your future! It's a great way to determine if you'd like to work with kids in the future. This will give you an opportunity to experience working with kids firsthand
- Great to include on a resume or college application!
- Invite friends to join you! Many volunteers enjoy being part of this program with friends. It can be a fun after-school activity to do together
What do high school student volunteers do when they volunteer for the after school program?
- Help with homework either one-on-one or in small groups for the first hour
- Play games and get involved in activities in the gym or outdoors for the remainder of the time